Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

I am buying a house in Illinois to live in when i separate from my husband. Once settled I plan to file for divorce. What do I need to do so this house doesn't become marital property

Asked on 8/27/19, 4:19 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Shimberg Shimberg and Crohn, P.C.

If you buy it while you are married, it will be presumed to be marital property. In theory the only way to make it meaningless is to get a 97% mortgage, where you will have no equity.

Read more
Answered on 8/28/19, 6:27 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois