Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Indiana

Restrict Credit for an Adult

We have a 31 year old (mentally-challenged) niece who is employed but acknowledges she cannot manage her finances. Are there any steps we can take (with her written approval) to restrict her ability to obtain credit cards or obtain payroll advances? We are in the process of creating a durable power of attorney.

Asked on 2/14/09, 5:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

C. David DuMond Law Offices of David DuMond

Re: Restrict Credit for an Adult

The only legally effective way to keep banks from pushing unwanted credit onto your niece would be to establish a conservatorship, with herself designated as the "protected person." A durable power of attorney will not suffice. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 2/15/09, 8:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Indiana