Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Indiana

I have a now ex boyfriend who kept getting money from me. He said he would pay me back. We now live in different states. I'm in Indiana and he is in California. Is there anything at all I can do?

Asked on 11/28/09, 1:56 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove

Probably not. You can sue him. However, the issue is how will you collect from him.

Read more
Answered on 12/03/09, 2:12 pm
C. David DuMond Law Offices of David DuMond

Would you chase a rat through hell for a pumpkin seed? If you would, and if you lent the man more than $50,000, then you can file a federal case against him. Or you can file a state civil case for any amount (though I don't think you can sue someone who resides out of state in small claims court; ask the small claims help center in your county; the circuit or superior courts of your county would be available for all claims). Be sure you have sufficiently specific identifying information that the judgment you obtain can be clearly marked against him. And you have to make sure you personally serve the man with your summons and complaint, which you can do by hiring a California process server. I knew a beautiful woman in Sausalito who started a business called Rat Dog Dick for just such occasions. You might google the business to see if she can find your rat (this was more than twenty years ago). Your Indiana judgment would then have to be "domesticated" in California, and then you can take steps to collect the judgment by writ of execution, wage levy and property attachment. If the deservedly-ex boyfriend is a general deadbeat with skill and experience at avoiding his obligations, then maybe you should mark the expense down as boyfriend tuition. Mr. Padove stated the matter succinctly. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 12/03/09, 9:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Indiana