Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Kentucky

I had a bank theft occur and it also a book of checks that were stolen. Someone cashed a check for 2000.00 and I went to US Bank and told them the theft occured, and someone stole 30.00 from my account and that made my account go negative, but I did have a deposit for 3000.00 and then someone stole my 2000.00 and the bank stop payment on all the checks, include my checks of which I had 1000.00 to pay them. One of the checks came back, and the Warren Co Attorney Office is trying to charge me 50.00 for person, the check fee, which I don't mind paying, and also 50.00 them, a Det Page, and no - one will let me talk to the Commonwealth Attorney, Amy Milligan, and they won't let me fax the paperwork even after three weeks ago this detective called me and said it was a civil matter and could not prosecute me, then he called again and said that he could prosecute me, and I am the victim here. I tried to pay that women that turned me in to them, but she cussed me out and gave it to them.

Can you assist me in this matter? Thanks

Asked on 11/01/11, 11:51 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrea Welker Welker Law Office

You should go ahead and retain a local attorney who practices criminal law. An attorney won't have a problem getting an audience with the Commonwealth and resolving this before it gets out of control. Also, it sounds as though you need someone to negotiate settlement of these matters and deal with the bank. Identity theft and other similar crimes are very stressful for the victim and often turn the victim into the target for creditors and even the police. It's worth the money for someone else to straighten it out for you.

Read more
Answered on 11/03/11, 8:21 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Kentucky