Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

Grandmother has POA on her adult son

I asked this question before, but I am not sure I made myself clear. My daughter has domicilary custody of her son, the paternal grandmother has a POA on his father. His father has filed for a change in custody from my daughter. The father does very little for his son, his mother handles most of the care for the father. How would this look in court for him, if the father is not involved, but letting his mother handle everything for him using that POA?

Asked on 3/23/08, 9:59 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew Casanave Andrew M. Casanave

Re: Grandmother has POA on her adult son

If a parent (in this case the mother) of the child has custody then anyone trying to take custody must prove that the change is in the best interest of the child.

Any non-parent (including a grandparent) trying to take custody from a parent must prove that the custodial parent is unfit.

If the father cannot care for himself he cannot care for a child.

Read more
Answered on 3/23/08, 10:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana