Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Maine

I had an ex-boyfriend who lived with me for 6 months, from mid May 2009 to mid November 2006. rent free and did not help pay any bills during his stay. He was in hard times and couldn't find or keep a regular job. At the time he moved in we agreed he would help pay for bills, help around the house and pay me back everything (i.e. clothing, a guitar, gas) all when he could. In the first of October, he became mentally ill, very depressed, several occassions I had to call the police about him trying to cause harm to himself. During this time I was afriad for my well being because of contant emotional abuse and I tried to get him out of my apartment, but I was scared because he could become very violent and angry. A week before Thanksgiving, he decided to take his anger out on me and he forcefully slammed me up against a wall, leaving bruises on my arms. I finally kicked him out 2 days after Thanksgiving, by leaving him at his grandparents. Can I sue him for what he said he would pay me back? Even though I have no hard evidence?

Asked on 9/30/10, 8:58 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Marchese Drummond & Drummond, LLP

If you file your case in small claims court (for cases up to $6,500 value), you can get through it without using the services of an attorney. It will be your word against his, if he shows up at trial. Your problem will be getting money from him after you get a judgment. If he has a job, you may be able to get the court to order withholding from his paycheck, so the employer will send a check directly to you. That is a separate legal proceeding that you have to start after you get a judgment against him. Good luck. Thank you for your inquiry.

Read more
Answered on 10/05/10, 9:04 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Maine