Legal Question in Family Law in Massachusetts

Under my divorce I am covering my ex husband under my medical insurance and he pays the difference of the premium. I am going to be starting a new job with a difference company. Do I still need to cover him? My divorce agreement states " as long as it is available through wifes employment and for so long as husband is eligible for coverage connected to said plan".

Asked on 12/10/13, 4:54 pm

4 Answers from Attorneys

henry lebensbaum Law Offices of Henry Lebensbaum (978-749-3606)

I think you know the answer and if not, yes,

Read more
Answered on 12/10/13, 5:46 pm
Erin Pennock Black, Vitelli & Pennock, LLC

You should check whether your new employment even allows you to include ex-spouses on your insurance plan; some do not. If it is available through your new employment the language you have quoted would require you to keep him on.


Of Counsel

Black & Vitelli, LLC

444 Washington Street, Suite 210

Woburn, MA 01801

Tel: (781) 569-5840

Fax: (781) 569-5841

Read more
Answered on 12/11/13, 6:39 am
Steven Hemingway Grolman LLP

You may be asking but I suspect you know the answer. If insurance is available through your employer and if your husband is still eligible for coverage under that plan, then yes. If the insurance company tells you that he is not eligible, then fine, but you ought to sign him up.

Read more
Answered on 12/11/13, 7:26 am
Bill Farias Law offices of Bill Farias

Yes, you must still cover him.

Read more
Answered on 12/11/13, 8:02 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Massachusetts