Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Michigan

If a parent wants to leave their house to all three of their children but wants to ensure that one with mental issues is allowed to live there until she dies, how would they go about that?

Asked on 5/16/20, 9:55 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Don Rosenberg Barron, Rosenberg, Mayoras & Mayoras, P. C.

The best solution and most likely the only solution is for you to establish a living trust. This is where you would establish a trust where you are the trustee and beneficiary during your lifetime. When you pass away you can design the trust anyway you wish. If you child with special circumstances and they receive governmental assistance you could create a special needs trust,

Don L. Rosenberg

Attorney and Counselor | [email protected]

1301 W. Long Lake Road, Suite 340

Troy, MI 48098

P: 248.641.7070

F: 248.641.7073

cid:[email protected]

Shareholder of law firm recognized as Best Law Firms by U.S. News and World Report

Recognized by National Association of Distinguished Counsel – Nation’s Top One Percent, 2016 - 2019

Recognized by New York Times Top Attorneys in Michigan and by Super Lawyers – State of Michigan (2009-2019)

Named Five Star Wealth Manager – Estate Planning by Hour Detroit and dbusiness (2009-2019)

Former Chair of the Elderlaw and Disability Rights Section of the State Bar of Michigan

Former Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Alzheimer’s Association – Greater Michigan Chapter (having served 6 years)

Accredited by the U.S. Department of Veterans

Read more
Answered on 5/16/20, 5:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Michigan