Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New York

I own an apartment. And when the paper work was signed, it was signed with another family member, which I'm assuming gives that individual rights to the apartment. How would I go about becoming the sole owner of the apartment if the other side does not want to give up rights?

Asked on 6/13/10, 11:44 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Markowitz Michael A. Markowitz, PC

You would have to commence a partition action. Essentially, you would sell the apartment with both owners receiving the net proceeds from the sale. Or, the partition will allow you to purchase the equity in the apartment from the other owner.


Read more
Answered on 6/14/10, 5:13 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New York