Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New York

I am currently being sued in small claims court. My former tenant and I had a verbal agreement that he would repair the house I was renting and I would take the material cost off of the rent. We had no signed lease and I wrote one up and he kept delaying the signing. He has the receipts totaling almost 3000 which I am not arguing with. The rent was 750 and he moved his belongings in and stayed for 9 months. I told him I would not ask for the first 2 months rent so that he could make the repairs to make it livable and then after that I would take it off the rent up to 350 a month so that he would at least pay 400. This was to continue until the house was complete and then we would go back to regular rent. Eventually, he just said this wasn't what we agreed on and moved out. Now he is suing saying that he wasn't living there and only storing his belongings there and wants to be reimbursed for the material costs. Does he have a case?

Asked on 4/01/17, 10:28 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

You rented out your house without getting a lease signed first? Neither of you has a great case. Hard to tell what would happen in small claims court.

Read more
Answered on 4/03/17, 6:34 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New York