Legal Question in Family Law in South Carolina

If my wife abandoned the marriage and children moved in with another man, then two years later filed for divorce while i was battling depression from losing our home and unable to maintain a job because of the lack of a support system and unable to attend the court hearing where she obtained joint custody, and no child support, then moved to different state. Is there anything I can do now.

Asked on 3/23/14, 7:59 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Smith Smith Law Group, LLC

In short - yes. However, there are many underlying issues here. How long ago did she have the court hearing? When did she move to another state? What is the other state? Why were you unable to attend the court hearing? Where you properly served (notified) with the pleadings and notice of hearing? Is your wife a fit mother now?

- You really need to get the help of an attorney with this. You can fight this and at the most it would take proving a substantial change of circumstances has occurred. However, you need an attorney to review the final order to determine the best way to approach this.

Read more
Answered on 3/24/14, 4:42 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in South Carolina