Legal Question in Veterans Law in Virginia

oth discharge upgrade

my boyfriend was a deserter for a year and a half. he turned himself in, did some time in quantico, and got an oth discharge. what are the chances that he can have his discharge upgraded, and does he stand a chance of becoming a police officer?

Asked on 2/26/08, 12:58 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Re: oth discharge upgrade

If it's an other than honorable discharge, his chances for an upgrade are probably not very good.

Whether such a discharge would preclude your boyfriend from joining a paticular police force would very likely depend upon that particular law enforcement agency's criteria for officer qualification.(Some might consider it a disqualifying factor while others may not.)

Read more
Answered on 2/26/08, 6:01 am
Michael Eisenberg Law Office of Michael D.J. Eisenberg, Attorney and Counselor at Law

Re: oth discharge upgrade

You may have some options; however, I need to know more details to better assess the situation.

Feel free to contact me if you would like to set up an initial consultation, free of charge. If we set up an appointment, I'd be happy to initiate the call in order to save you in long distance charges.

Read more
Answered on 2/26/08, 9:15 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Veterans Law questions and answers in Virginia