Arizona  |  Immigration Law

I am a US citizen and have been married for almost three years now. My spouse was granted conditional residency after we turned in all the proper paper work and applied for her citizenship. We filed an I-751 form for removal of her conditions a few months ago. The results came back that immigration needed more time to review our case and extended us one more year to make the final decision. Since then it has become apparent to me that I no longer wish to continue a relationship with my spouse. I am wondering how this will affect her residency, our application and further more any legal repercussions.

Answered on: 10/16/13, 11:24 am by Marlene Hemmings

USCIS can still find that it was a bona fide marriage when entered into & approve the I-751, even if you do not remain married. Although it makes the case a little easier if you remain married until the I-751 is approved, it is no guarantee that the case will be approved merely on those grounds.

Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law 23371 Mulholland Drive, Suite 294 Woodland Hills, 91364