California  |  Consumer Law

About six weeks ago I bought a new car, but I now have to sell it. The DMV says the car is registered under my name and address but the title has yet to be issued. The same dealer that i bought it from offered to buy back the car right away and they will hand me the cheque in 7-10 business days when they have cleared the paper work.

Should I follow through with this transaction? and How could I ensure that the dealer will pay me within the 7-10 business day time period ?

Answered on: 9/08/13, 12:32 pm by Steven Simons

I am not sure that this question can be answered based upon the information supplied. Is the dealer a larger dealership or a small mom & pop one? Was the car financed or did you pay cash? How much are they offering you for the car? Obviously less than what you aid for it or they would not be willing to do the deal. There are too many variables to answer your question as phrased. I would say that if you get the agreement in writting from the dealer then you have a least a modicum of assurance that the dealer will try to do what it says. Good luck.

Law Office of Steven A. Simons 15315 Magnolis Blvd. Suite 308 Sherman Oaks, CA 91403