Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

I would like to know what is a pitch investigation... Some detectives or investigators came to my home asking questions about an officer who used excessive force and police brutality against me??

Asked on 7/11/13, 6:47 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If you have a valid meritorious claim of police abuse, you should be consulting with counsel for advice. Since you filed a complaint, you are obligated to cooperate in the investigation, but need to do so properly. If serious about pursuing this, and serious about hiring counsel for the investigation or lawsuit, feel free to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 7/11/13, 8:12 pm
Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Pitchess investigation, not a pitch investigation. It is named after the case.

In Pitchess v. Superior Court (1974), 11 Cal.3d 531, the California Supreme Court held that evidence of prior complaints against a peace officer is relevant to establish a character trail of an officer. One of the statutes enacted in response to the Pitchess decision was Penal Code section 832.5, which governs the record keeping and investigation of public entities that employe peace officers.

The name "Pitchess" is often used to describe a motion where the officer's character is an issue legitimately raised by the defense, and the complaint history of that specific office is sought.

Read more
Answered on 7/12/13, 7:32 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now