California  |  Immigration Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/16/12, 10:18 am

I came to this country when I was 3 years old with my parents who were illegal immigrants. I am now 28 years old. I heard that starting August 16, 2012 I can apply for work permit which has to be renewed every two years. I went on site where I learned this. My question is - What is better for me - to use this opportunity and come out with hope that I will be able to apply for the green card or stay in hiding as once I come out, I may be subjected to deportation later on as the law will change again with new politics?

1 Answer

Answered on: 8/16/12, 11:51 am by Seeta Nangia

If you decide to apply for deferred action, you will be given the opportunity to legally work. You may be able to renew the deferred action after the two years is up. You may request consideration of deferred action for childhood arrivals if you:

- Were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012;

- Came to the United States before reaching your 16th birthday;

- Have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;

- Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making your request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS;

- Entered without inspection before June 15, 2012, or your lawful immigration status expired as of June 15, 2012;

- Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and

- Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety

If you would like further information, please do not hesitate to contact an immigration attorney.

Seeta L. Nangia, Esq.

Law Offices of Seeta Nangia

Exclusively Practicing Immigration Law

Phone: (415) 273-9123



Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Offices of Seeta Nangia 567 Sutter Street San Francisco, CA 94102

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search