California  |  Employment Law

My employer in California has an Alternative Work Week Schedule. Our normal schedule is 6am until 3:30pm with a 30min lunch, totaling 9 hours of actual work.

Recently the company has now been scheduling us anywhere from 4am until 11pm without anymore than a few hours notice the day before. Is there anything that can be done? On top of it all if they end up scheduling us for 1:30pm until 11pm for example, and they end up only needing us until 7pm, they send us home and make us take either vacation time or unpaid time for the rest of the hours. Is any of this legal and can anything be done?

Thanks, Robert

Answered on: 6/18/13, 10:34 pm by John Laurie

when you say your employer in California, does this mean you are out of state? If so then you would most likely be governed by the laws of the state you work in.

This gratuitous response does not create an attorney client relationship. The advice provided herein is generic, may not apply to your circumstances and is not to be relied upon in your actions. An attorney client relationship is created only upon execution of an engagement letter or retainer agreement hiring me or my firm.

Gertz and Laurie 18321 Ventura Boulevard Suite 900 Tarzana, CA 91356