California  |  Employment Law

Currently I am on maternity leave. I am scheduled to go back to work next Tuesday October 8th. I was told in late July by my administrator that he will be stepping down from his position and taking my position over. He tried to get me to come back to work early and take an accounting position. I of course declined and chose to stay on my maternity leave. Today my administrator contacted me and told me that there is another opening in the accounting department that he wants me to go after and that returning to my position will only be temporary.

Do I have any legal recourse to ensure I do not lose my position in the near future since I am not interested in taking the accounting position? Is there anything I can do to protect my job at this point since my administrator has already told me that if I don't go after the accounting position my job is only temporary? How long after returning from medical leave can the terminate me without the two being related? If I am forced into taking the accounting position is there any legal action I can take since I will no longer be a manager, my pay may be decreased etc.?