Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

I received a settlement on a bicycle vs vehicle incident. After attorney fees i was left with approx. $20,800. Of that my attorney kept half in a trust fund "in case" the lien holder Came back to settle. But as far as I've been told the lien holder isn't looking to settle, and no longer holds my case. My attorney says he wants to hold the money maybe for a year or more. I find that ridiculous. But im no law savvy. So i want to know if there is a way for me to acquire the remainder of my settlement.

Asked on 6/12/13, 10:08 pm

Experienced Mesothelioma Attorneys - SEG Law

Simon, Eddins & Greenstone, LLP, (SEG Law) is one of the country's most prominent trial law firms specializing in representing victims of cancer caused from exposure to hazardous substances such as asbestos. The firm was built on a shared passion to diligently and compassionately serve each client through every step of the legal process.

For more information visit us at

2 Answers from Attorneys

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The best thing to do is to have the attorney work something out with the lien holder. I am not sure what type of lien it is or if it is in fact a lien so it is hard to tell you without knowing specifics.

This gratuitous response does not create an attorney client relationship. The advice provided herein is generic, may not apply to your circumstances and is not to be relied upon in your actions. An attorney client relationship is created only upon execution of an engagement letter hiring me or my firm.

Read more
Answered on 6/12/13, 10:45 pm
Armen Tashjian Law Offices of Armen M. Tashjian
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If you know for sure that the lien holder is no longer claiming a lien get them to give you something in writing. Once that happens your lawyer must release the funds. Also you need to see the proof of the lien.

Read more
Answered on 6/13/13, 9:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Personal Injury Law and Tort Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now