Florida  |  Insurance Law

My neighbor hit my car as it was parked in front of my home. His car caused considerable damage to my vehicle. He showed an expired insurance card to the traffic officers as they were writing an accident report. The officers told me that they can not do anything as the accident already happened and wrote an accident report even if the other driver was driving unlawfully without insurance.

I took the car to collision centers to get different estimates as the guy told me that he will pay for the damage. However when I showed him the estimates he told me that he can not pay for the damages he caused. He has told too many lies so far and now he wants to arrange a personal "payment plan" with me. I definitely do not trust him and I absolutely want him to face criminal charges . What steps should I take?

Answered on: 9/04/13, 8:19 pm by David Slater

There are no criminal charges. If you can prove he did it, you can sue in Small Claims Court for the damages. Be careful as he is a neighbor.

David P. Slater, Esq. 5154 Windsor Parke Dr. Boca Raton, FL 33496

Answered on: 9/05/13, 4:26 am by Barry Stein

You can sue him, but you are better off with a written plan to pay you that you can then enforce. I would see some legal guidance and put the agreement he is willing to make in writing. Getting paid something is always better than getting paid nothing.

De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary 25 SE 2nd Avenue Suite 425 Miami, FL 33131