Florida  |  Real Estate Law

I live in Florida. In Jan of 2013 a friend of mine arranged for me to move into a house that was undergoing foreclosure proceedings. The agreement was I would stay rent free so that the bank would know the house was occupied so they wouldn't foreclose on it while the actual owners decided what if anything to do with the property. In May 2013 I met the owners for the first time. They demanded back rent from me in the amount of $2100.00. I moved out May 28th. I never signed any financial documents before or while I was living there. Am I legally required to pay them back rent?

Answered on: 9/16/13, 7:13 am by Barry Stein

You are probably legally responsible for the reasonable value of the house which you used. That said, the "oral" agreement may be enforceable, but you don't say what authority your friend had to make this deal. Was it sanctioned by the owner? Was the agreement reduced to writing in any fashion at all? emails? texts? written on a napkin? Until you clarify the deal I would not pay anything and I would seek some legal advice with all the actual details.

De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary 25 SE 2nd Avenue Suite 425 Miami, FL 33131