Legal Question in Immigration Law in Georgia

My fiance and I are planing on getting married in a few weeks. I am a German Citizen and came here with Visitors Visa 3 years ago. Back then I was married to a US Citizen but I divorced him because of domestic violence. My ex spouse failed back then to apply for my Visa so I would be able to work and live here in the US. I never had the intention to overstay my Visitors Visa. Basically my ex spouse cut me lose and left me with nothing in this country, My fiance and I are expecting and I do have a !0 year old son from e previous relationship. So my question to you is, what does my fiance and I have to do after we get married as far as legal paperwork, what are the next steps? Am I able to apply for a SSN and be able to work here?

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

As long as you had a lawful entry, you are still eligible to apply for adjustment of status in the United States, even if you overstayed your visa.

There are a myriad of forms, documents & filing fees that you & your spouse will need to file with USCIS once you get married. You can obtain more information at www.uscis.gov, or feel free to contact my office if you require assistance/representation.

You can apply for a SSN once your case is filed & you obtain a "work permit" (called an Employment Authorization Document).

Good luck!

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Georgia