Georgia  |  Immigration Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 9/23/13, 11:49 am

My fiance and I are planing on getting married in a few weeks. I am a German Citizen and came here with Visitors Visa 3 years ago. Back then I was married to a US Citizen but I divorced him because of domestic violence. My ex spouse failed back then to apply for my Visa so I would be able to work and live here in the US. I never had the intention to overstay my Visitors Visa. Basically my ex spouse cut me lose and left me with nothing in this country, My fiance and I are expecting and I do have a !0 year old son from e previous relationship. So my question to you is, what does my fiance and I have to do after we get married as far as legal paperwork, what are the next steps? Am I able to apply for a SSN and be able to work here?

1 Answer

Answered on: 9/23/13, 11:54 am by Marlene Hemmings

As long as you had a lawful entry, you are still eligible to apply for adjustment of status in the United States, even if you overstayed your visa.

There are a myriad of forms, documents & filing fees that you & your spouse will need to file with USCIS once you get married. You can obtain more information at, or feel free to contact my office if you require assistance/representation.

You can apply for a SSN once your case is filed & you obtain a "work permit" (called an Employment Authorization Document).

Good luck!

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law 23371 Mulholland Drive, Suite 294 Woodland Hills, 91364

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search