Illinois  |  Consumer Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 3/01/12, 5:19 pm

Gas company has been billing me from a meter that has been connected to another apartment's line. I requested that my gas be shut off because of oddly high bills. They said they cannot deactivate the account since the meter was mislabeled and is servicing someone else's apartment. Gas company says the landlord is responsible to fix the problem. What are my legal rights?

1 Answer

Answered on: 3/01/12, 9:26 pm by Stephen Messutta

There are several laws that govern this, and if you are in an apartment building that the landlord does NOT live in, the Chicago Residential Landlord & Tenant Ordinance as well. Basically this is a landlord issue and you can give the landlord notice to fix the situation and adjust your rent, or you may be able to do so to a point, and/or you can contact the building department. More information would be needed about the building, the amounts involved, etc. to give you a clearer answer.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Attorney address not available

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

81 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search