Illinois  |  Employment Law

Is it ok for my store manager to tell me that I should get on medication for my ADHD. And that I can't do my job because of it

Answered on: 10/07/13, 5:56 pm by Stephen Messutta

If you are diagnosed with ADHD and are telling the employer that this entitles you to some leeway in your job, you have a medical condition and are disabled under the ADA. That on the one hand entitles you to reasonable accommodation (leeway) for your condition, but you must also make a reasonable effort to control your condition through available medical means. That's a "thumbnail" and your specific situation may be different that warrants a different analysis or conclusion. See an attorney if you are still not sure. It may be a different issue.

Attorney address not available

Answered on: 10/08/13, 7:12 am by Betty Tsamis

First of all, you do not state that you have been diagnosed with ADHD. Second, your employer's conduct is troublesome if it is made because the employer "perceives" you to be "disabled." Do yourself a favor and ocntact a qualified employment attorney.

Tsamis Law Firm PC 1509 W. Berwyn, 201E Chicago, IL 60640