Minnesota  |  Real Estate Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 3/25/09, 8:05 pm

Real Estate

I own half of a twin home. It was recently discovered that the property line does not fall in the center of the house. Two feet of the other side of the twinhome is on my property. Is this something that we should correct? If so, do I give them the property or would the pay for it?

1 Answer

Answered on: 3/26/09, 9:36 am by Steven Vatndal

Re: Real Estate

I would first want to confirm the accuracy of this new location of the property line: who says the line is off and how does this compare with the original plat and the original legal description in the first deeds out?

Assuming the error is as you described, it can be corrected by one or two quit-claim deeds (depending on whether the error is all one way or whether each of you have part of what should belong to the other). Care must be taken in preparing the new legal descriptions to make sure they match with the building as it exists.

You may e-mail any follow-up questions to me directly at


Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Office of Steven J. Vatndal 600 South Second St.; P.O. Box 3047 Mankato, MN 56002-3047

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search