Legal Question in Criminal Law in Missouri

I was arrested 4 months ago and my *Bond* was set at $250,000 and I was appointed a *Public Defender* and we had several court appearences in the county lower court and when it was moved to the higher county court my *Public Defender* had my *Bond* reduced to $50,000 so I could bond myself out of jail which I did and now that I'm out my *Public Defender* says she can no longer defend me. - - -

I can either defend myself or hire my own Laywer which I can't afford because I am retired living on a $886.00 a month Social Security Pension

Is that legal?

Michael R. Nack Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law

That is the way it works. They figure that if you can post bond, you don't qualify for a public defender. Quite possibly a private lawyer would have obtained your release from custody for less, much quicker, and without waiving a preliminary hearing. It appears that you need to hire an attorney. You may contact me directly for a free telephone consultation, and I can quote you a reasonable retainer fee.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Missouri