Legal Question in DUI Law in Nevada

a cousin of mine has been charged with a first dui offence and his court date is set for May 14th 2010. His drivers licence was taken from him and he has been given a provisional license.

What kind of sentence is he most likely to receive?

David Fischer Fischer Sanders, LLP

In Nevada -

His exposure is a jail sentence of up to 6 months in county jail and/or a fine of up to $1,000.00.

Also, court fees and costs.

He will have to attend a DUI course and depending on his blood alcohol level he may have to be evaluated by a professional drug and alcohol abuse counselor before he can legally be sentenced.

Finally he will have to attend a victim of drunk driving impact statement.

He will have a DUI on his permanent record and if he is subsequently convicted of another DUI within seven years he faces harshers penalties.

Bottom line he should have a Nevada attorney review the facts of his case to help him establish a defense in an effort to avoid the DUI and the subsequent sentencing all together.

I am available for a consultation if he is interested to discuss further. My main office line is 702-547-3944. Good luck!

David F.

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Nevada