Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in New Mexico

can my property be taken if I cant pay a medical bill . I own it free and clear.I am only on disability and have little income.I live in New Mexico

Asked on 2/14/12, 5:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Harutiun Kassakhian The Kassakhian Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Your creditor can take your property to pay for an unpaid medical bill if they file a lawsuit against you. Your creditor must serve you with a Civil Complaint. If you don't respond to the Civil Complaint, or if the Creditor wins a Judgment during the lawsuit, the creditor can try to garnish your wages.

If you are a low income person, it's possible that you make too little money, and that your income is exempt from garnishment. (The creditor can't leave you with less than the income from a 40 hour a week minimum wage income). Certain forms of disability benefits are exempt from garnishment in New Mexico, and your disability benefits may qualify.

You can also file for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy to discharge the debts and protect your disability benefit from garnishment. If you believe that you were served with a Civil Complaint or that there is a civil suit pending against you, please immediately contact an attorney. If you can't afford an attorney, contact Legal Aid or similar organizations to get free or low-cost assistance.

Read more
Answered on 2/15/12, 8:54 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in New Mexico

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now