New York  |  Discrimination Law

I have a situation. I am a black female living in a 99.9 Asian building in Flushing, NY. I received a letter today stating that I have till April 15th to move out. I always pay my rent and I am current. My rent is not due until April 24th, The letter indicates that the Landlord can only have his family or close relative in the apartment if he is not in it. He is not suppose to sublet. I rented the apartment in August 2011 and since then I have been harassed by other tenants because I am different. But it didn't bother me much because I like the area. Now the Board got involved, and they need me to leave in 10 days. I can't get up and leave in 10 days. What can I do to protect myself? Please help.

Answered on: 4/05/12, 7:29 pm by Jason Stern

This sounds highly unusual and most likely is illegal. Please contact my office to discuss the matter further.

Law Offices of Jason Stern 420 Lexington Avenue - Suite 2750 New York, NY 10170