North Carolina  |  Employment Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 5/31/13, 9:13 am

I was fired for selling alcohol to a minor. My former employer is now withholding my last paycheck, indefinitely, pending the fine on the store from the A.L.E. Is that legal?

1 Answer

Answered on: 6/01/13, 4:50 am by John Kirby

That does not sound legal. Under the wage and hour laws, there are only certain reasons for which an employer can refuse to pay you, such as if you stole property from the employer. You might want to contact the North Carolina Department of Labor to inquire about this, and/or to file a complaint. You can also contact a lawyer in your local area for a further consultation.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Offices of John M. Kirby 2501 Blue Ridge Road, Suite 250 Raleigh, NC 27607-6479

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search