North Carolina  |  Workers Comp

disability rating in reference to continued employment

I have worked at my co for 13 years and had a injury on jan 27 2000; was out of work for 30 days. I fell on snow and ice clearing entrances to plant so work could start up again. upon release from doctor i was rated with a 20% permanant disability.The ins co and employer tells me now if i receive compasation i would have to resign. and or not receive anything and continue to work and have future coverage. This was a back injury; 3 compaced verterbraes and 3 cracked ribs.this not seem right to me.what can i do; i can not bend and have pain daily.

Answered on: 3/21/01, 4:29 pm by Eleanor MacCorkle

Re: disability rating in reference to continued employment

You are being misinformed. With a 20% disability to you back, you are greatly impaired and may even be totally disabled. If you are not disabled totally and are earning the same or greater wages than before the injury at a job that is regularly found in the economy, you are entitled to payment on your rating and continued coverage under worker's compensation. You have two years from the date of the payment on your rating to re-open your claim for change of condition. Given the 20% rating to your back, you need the advice of an attorney.

Eleanor MacCorkle, Attorney at Law 138 East Chestnut St. Asheville, NC 28801