Legal Question in Consumer Law in Virginia

trailer dispute

I took my old two horse trailer to a guy's house so he could look at it and let me know what it would take to fix it. His price was more than I wanted to spend. He now says, because he dis-assembled several parts, that I now owe him $370.00, and that he will not give me the trailer back until I've paid him. I simply asked for an estimate, and never intended for him to do anything more than that? What are my legal options here?

Cary Moseley Law Office of Cary Powell Moseley, PLLC

Re: trailer dispute

If he won't give back, you could sue for damages, for unauthorized "repairs," and possibly for violations of various consumer laws and/or repair facility laws. You need to have an attorney write him a stern letter. Good luck.

Ruth Emily Kochard Ruth Emily Kochard, Counselor at Law

Re: trailer dispute

If you were to get a free estimate, you would be entitled to get your trailer back. You should send him a demand letter w/a time deadline to return it. If he doesn't you should file an action in detinue seeking damages and the return of the trailer. If the value of the trailer falls w/in small claims court jurisdiction, you can file it there (there is a form for warrant in detinue on the virginia courts system website).

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Virginia

Consumer Law Legal Forms