Virginia  |  Consumer Law

trailer dispute

I took my old two horse trailer to a guy's house so he could look at it and let me know what it would take to fix it. His price was more than I wanted to spend. He now says, because he dis-assembled several parts, that I now owe him $370.00, and that he will not give me the trailer back until I've paid him. I simply asked for an estimate, and never intended for him to do anything more than that? What are my legal options here?

Answered on: 7/21/09, 11:34 am by Cary Moseley

Re: trailer dispute

If he won't give back, you could sue for damages, for unauthorized "repairs," and possibly for violations of various consumer laws and/or repair facility laws. You need to have an attorney write him a stern letter. Good luck.

Law Office of Cary Powell Moseley, PLLC 916 Main Street, Third Floor Lynchburg, VA 24504

Answered on: 7/21/09, 1:03 pm by Ruth Emily Kochard

Re: trailer dispute

If you were to get a free estimate, you would be entitled to get your trailer back. You should send him a demand letter w/a time deadline to return it. If he doesn't you should file an action in detinue seeking damages and the return of the trailer. If the value of the trailer falls w/in small claims court jurisdiction, you can file it there (there is a form for warrant in detinue on the virginia courts system website).

Ruth Emily Kochard, Counselor at Law 2034 Airy Circle Richmond, VA 23238