Legal Question in Personal Injury in Virginia

car wreck no insurance

My father was in a car wreck where he was at fault and he had no insurance. Can he be sued for his 16 acres of land he and my mother both own? She was on the car register and expired insurance policy. just wondering if they could take the land since it was in both of their names?

Asked on 9/20/08, 4:29 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael E. Hendrickson Attorney & Counsellor at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: car wreck no insurance

No, not if your father holds title to the land with

your mother as "tenants by the entireties" and your mother has no responsibility for the accident.

Read more
Answered on 9/20/08, 5:07 pm
Daniel Press Chung & Press, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: car wreck no insurance

Michael Hendrickson is right, but let me add that if your parents divorce or your mother pre-deceases your father, any judgment lien as to just your father will then attach to the land. If a significant judgment is entered that he can't pay, he may want to consider bankruptcy to protect these assets.

Read more
Answered on 9/20/08, 11:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Virginia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Personal Injury Law and Tort Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Craig EpifanioCraig Epifanio, P.A.St Petersburg, FL
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Scott RiddleLaw Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLCAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now