Alabama  |  Employment Law

I am looking for the reference that gives information on actual hours worked by an employee, allowing time on arrival to prepare for days work(examples given were Chef needing to sharpen knives, mechanic to change into overalls etc - considered as work time not unpaid time) Our employer does not allow time in our call center to log on and off of our computer systems and only allows time actually logged in and ready to talk to customers, this extends our working day up to 10 to 15 minutes for which we are not paid.

Answered on: 1/21/11, 10:59 pm by Kyla Kelim

I don't think you need to go that far. Take a look at this fact sheet from the Department of Labor's Wage and Hour division: http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs22.pdf . If you're required to be there at 8, and don't get paid until you can log on the system at 8:15, then your employer is violating the law. If you search the site, it will give you information on making a complaint, and finding an attorney to assist you.

Aging in Alabama P.O. Box 109 Fairhope, AL 36533