Arizona  |  Immigration Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/29/13, 10:01 pm

My dad has a green card still valid, it expires in June 2014. But he left the country 4 years ago and did not come back every year like he was supposed to. If he tries to reentry the US, What are the consequences...? Can he get a change of status be admitted penalized or start the process..? is it better for me to petition for him again.

1 Answer

Answered on: 6/30/13, 9:17 am by Marlene Hemmings

If your father tries to re-enter the U.S. as a Legal Permanent Resident, he will probably get his greencard revoked. However, until that happens you cannot re-file for him.

He can also relinquish his greencard at the local U.S. Consulate, however, he might have difficulty getting a B-2 visa issued if they believe he has immigrant intent.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law 23371 Mulholland Drive, Suite 294 Woodland Hills, 91364

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

130 Answers given in the last few hours.

8627 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search