California  |  Employment Law

I work for an elementary in California and hold two positions. My first position is in the morning as a teacher's assist and am consider a permanent employee. My second position is an instructor for an after school programs for kids and for this position I am not contracted. Recently I got a letter in the mail that I will no longer be needed for my second position. My question is, can I be fired/let go without any reasons at all? My end of the year evaluation with the principal was all good news. There were no complaints and my scores were all in the top range. I know it's not due to budget because there will still be the after school program next year and they are still hiring for the position.

Answered on: 7/23/13, 2:08 am by Terry A. Nelson

No 'cause' is required. They don't have to renew your contract. Your rights are defined by your contract and and Education Code.

Nelson & Lawless 18685 Main St., #175 Huntington Beach, CA 92648