California  |  Employment Law

I work in the medical field and the manager is telling us that under the company policy, we have to wear white shoes. I can't afford white shoes at the moment so I'm wearing my black sneakers I keep at home. Can there be legal action that can allow me to wear my black shoes instead of white? Or any color. Under the labor law act, it says if an employer pays for our clothing then we would have to wear it? Can you help me figure this out? Thanks

Answered on: 4/27/13, 1:57 pm by Terry A. Nelson

There is nothing to figure out. The employer sets the dress code, The employer is generally not obligated to pay for your uniform or clothes. You can comply or seek a new job, or try to get them to give you a temporary waiver to avoid being terminated for your 'violation of policy'.

Nelson & Lawless 18685 Main St., #175 Huntington Beach, CA 92648

Answered on: 4/28/13, 4:58 am by Charles Perry

I agree with Mr. Nelson. Your employer has the right to require you to wear white shoes at work. Failure to comply may subject you to disciplinary action, which could include termination of your employment.

Law Offices of Charles R. Perry 1500 Bayberry Street Hollister, 95023