Indiana  |  Employment Law

I was fired from my job for really no reason...now my boss is telling people I was stealing money and abusing children(I worked in day care)...she is also telling people that call her about babysitting jobs I've tried to get that I am not to. Be trusted(along with other things that are not true) which is costing me jobs...is there anything I caan legally do about this?

Answered on: 6/23/13, 6:40 am by Voyle A. Glover

The laws of libel and slander are applicable here. Your boss could fire you, since Indiana is an "at will" employment state. But, your boss cannot spread lies around that are libelous. You would seem to have a cause of action against her and against the company, if there is one. Don't try and handle this yourself. Just like trying to defend yourself in court" is not so smart in a criminal case, trying to do this without the aid of a lawyer is not very smart. I would think a letter from a lawyer would at least shut her up. That should not cost you very much and would be better than doing nothing. And, you may want to file a complaint for libel and/or slander.

Attorney at Law 101 W 75th Pl Merrillville, IN 46410-4775

The laws of libel and slander are applicable here. Your boss could fire you, since Indiana is an "at will" employment state. But, your boss cannot spread lies around that are libelous. You would seem to have a cause of action against her and against the company, if there is one. Don't try and handle this yourself. Just like trying to defend yourself in court" without a lawyer is not so smart in a criminal case, trying to do this without the aid of a lawyer is not very smart. I would think a letter from a lawyer would at least shut her up. That should not cost you very much and would be better than doing nothing. And, you may want to file a complaint for libel and/or slander.