North Carolina  |  Employment Law

I was terminated from a NC State government position because I was said to have left the building multiple times, for multiple hours on several occasions. This was absolutely not true. I asked for proof from my employer and they said someone told them. I asked if they checked the security tape for both entrances/exits. They said yes and they were not able to find any footage of me leaving. I applied for unemployment and the State denied it. I appealed and won. The unemployment office specifically said all charges the State presented were found to be untrue and without validity. I do understand NC is an at-will employment state. However, it should be unlawful for an employer to discharge an employee based on hearsay, lies, slander, libel, etc. Should I seek the help of an attorney?

Answered on: 11/05/13, 4:47 pm by Kenneth Love

No, there is no such claim in NC. Your best bet is to look for new employment and move on with the pride that you were right and they were wring.

Ken Love Law 3410 Healy Drive Winston Salem, NC 27103